The suit, filed Wednesday, names defendants including Apple Music, Scott, the rapper Drake and Live Nation, alleging they were negligent and stood to make “an exorbitant amount of money” from the event but chose to “cut corners, cut costs and put the festival attendees at risk.”
“Many in the crowd were knocked to the ground and trampled, some were trapped and crushed against other concert attendees, while others were compressed against metal barricades,” the lawsuit says. “The resulting catastrophic incident and carnage were easily foreseeable and preventable had the Defendants acted in a reasonably prudent manner in planning a large-scale festival like Astroworld Fest.”
The lawsuit seeks $2 billion in damages resulting from “extreme pain and suffering, loss of earnings, emotional distress and medical expenses.”
“My clients want to ensure the defendants are held responsible for their actions, and they want to send the message to all performers, event organizers, and promoters that what happened at Astroworld cannot happen again,” attorney Thomas J. Henry said in a statement.
At least 140 lawsuits have been filed in connection to the festival tragedy, according to Harris County District Court records.
Witnesses described event as traumatizing
Minutes before Scott took the stage at 9 p.m., more than 260 people had already been treated, according to the logs. At 9:33 p.m., the police reported “multiple people trampled, passed out at front stage.” A “Level One MCI” — mass casualty incident — was reported at 9:52 p.m., according to the logs.
Between 10 p.m. to roughly 11:40 p.m., 17 people had been transported to hospitals, including at least six in cardiac arrests.
“This is something I’ll have nightmares about for the rest of my life,” Pollak said. “The team is extremely broken up about it. Seeing so many young people getting CPR at one time, it’s just something no one should have to go through.”
“It felt like it was the end for me,” said attendee Selena Beltran, describing losing her balance as a crowd around her began jumping. “To think that’s how I’ll die, I was so scared.”
“I did not know what to do. It was all happening so fast, but so slow and I couldn’t react. I just screamed,” Beltran added.
It is unclear what Scott saw from the stage and whether he was aware of the crowd conditions, but he continued to perform until about 10:10 p.m. Scott’s attorney said the artist did not know of the mass casualty declaration until the following morning.
CNN’s Natasha Chen contributed to this report.